Wednesday, June 25, 2008

One Sheet Wonder

Here's the finished view of the altered notebook and bookmark I made using the "one sheet wonder" technique. (see post below for all of the items I made). Basically, this technique consists of stamping multiple layers on a piece of white cardstock, then cutting the cardstock to use on a number of different projects. It's a very quick and easy way to prepare your own patterned cardstock to use in several different projects. I just added some mint melody cardstock, positively pink cardstock. my square steps corner punch and some ribbon to make the projects. Here's how it's done:



You will need stamps, and several colors/shades of ink. Start by taking a sheet of white cardstock and randomly stamping it in the lightest color with a geometric stamp. I used Barely Banana and the triple triangle stamp from the Fun with Shapes set.



Next, choose one or two other light colors and geometric stamps and stamp randomly again. It doesn't matter if you layer the colors; in fact, it looks better that way, so you don't have to be careful! Here, I used two more stamps from Fun With Shapes, and Pretty in Pink and Mint Melody ink.



Next, choose some images you want to stamp and use darker ink. I wanted flowers and leaves, so I decided to use the Petal Prints set. I chose the 3-leaf stamp and the solid flower. Positviely Pink (same as my cardstock) and Garden Green were my color choices.


Finally, stamp with your darkest ink ~ if you have any white spaces, try to fill them in. I used the outline stamp from Petal Prints that coordinates with the solid stamp.
When you're finished, you'll have a sheet of cardstock that looks like mine above. To use your newly created cardstock on yoru projects, simply cut or punch it in any shape, mat it if desired, and then put it on a cardstock background. It works best if your background cardstock is the same as one of the ink colors you have used. Here I've used mint melody as my cardstock color, and, if you check the projects below, you'll see that I also used Positively Pink. You'll also see my one-sheet wonder cut with the scallop punch. Note as well that you can use your one-sheet wonder as a mat with your plain CS on top.


To make the bookmark shown above, cut two pieces of your patterned CS to 1 1/2 x 3". Cut 2 mint melody mats 1/8" larger all around (I used the perfect layers tool for this). Cut 2 positively pink CS pieces at 2" x 4 1/4", then score each at 3/4". It works best if you score one of the front and one on the back. Adhere each piece of patterned CS to each mint melody mat, then each positively pink mat. You will end up with two separate pieces, identical except for the direction of the scores. Place the two pieces of positively pink CS back to back, punch the square steps corner punch at both top corners, and fold at score lines (you'll be folding both pieces forward).


Use the Crop a Dile to set an eyelet in the centre, and tie with a pretty ribbon. If you wish, you can add magnets to the back of each of the two facing pieces.




No comments: